High School to College

High School to College

Unlike the accommodations process in high school, accommodations in college are a shared responsibility between students, college staff, and faculty.

High SchoolCollege

The applicable law is the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act or IDEA.

The applicable law is the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and as Amended, and Section 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.

IDEA is about success.

The ADA is about access.

Fundamental modifications of programs and curricula are required.

No Fundamental modifications are required – only academic adjustments.

Education is a right and must be provided in an appropriate environment to all individuals.

Education is not a right – students must meet certain admission criteria.

The school district is responsible for identifying a student’s disability.

Students must self-identify.

The school district develops Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) to define educational services.

Student must identify needs and request services – an IEP may constitute sufficient documentation, although the Program, together with disability documentation, may more clearly outline the functional challenges of the disability and/or establishes a history of accommodations.

The school district provides free evaluations.

The student likely needs to obtain evaluations at their own expense.

Student is supported by parents and teachers.

Student is responsible for seeking assistance from the Disability Services Office, which exists to ensure equal access to students with disabilities.

Primary responsibility for arranging modifications belongs to school.

Primary responsibility for self-advocacy and arranging academic adjustments belongs to the student (who may seek assistance from Disability Services).

May have received modifications to the school's behavior code.

Expected to abide by college’s code of conduct, regardless of disability.

Personal Services and equipment for medical and physical disabilities are provided by the school district (i.e., Personal Care Attendant).

Most personal services or equipment are not provided – however, the Disability Services Office may assist the student in obtaining such services or equipment.

Parent advocates for student.

Student must advocate for self.

∧ Back to Top    

Attend SUNY