UAlbany Move-in day

Information for Parents

Parents trust SUNY.  Across our system, we guarantee consistency and quality.  So you can be sure that when it comes to faculty, facilities, and programs you can keep your expectations high.  SUNY is a network of resources that has more of everything you want for your student.  More ways to explore the ideas they’re most passionate about.  More guidance from expert mentors.  More support across the board from academics to financial aid.  And more opportunity to develop as a whole person.  The result is the best preparation for a better career.  We’d like to invite your student to be part of something bigger.  They deserve an education that will grow with them.

Where do you begin?

Visit SUNY campuses. Find campus maps, parking directions, questions to ask, suggestions for where to stay and what to do, as well as online visits and virtual tours, on campus websites.

Participate in SUNY-sponsored activities. Learn about upcoming college fairs, information sessions, and financial aid planning workshops.

Learn more about Paying For College.

Frequently Asked Questions

What merit scholarships are available and how does my child apply for them?

Merit scholarships are specific to each campus. Students are automatically considered for them when they complete a regular application for admission. Check with campus admissions offices for any other merit scholarship application requirements. Merit scholarships may be tied to a specific academic program or talent and are becoming increasingly available to community college students as well. They are competitive and vary from school to school.

View scholarships available at individual SUNY campuses.

What forms are required and how does my child apply for financial aid?

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may get this application from your high school counselor, library or college financial aid offices or you may apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
  2. Send your FAFSA as soon after October 1 as possible.
  3. Watch for your Student Aid Report (SAR) which explains your eligibility for financial aid. Each college to which you apply will receive this information.
  4. Contact campus financial aid offices for answers and advice.

How do I contact the financial aid office?

Contact information for campus financial aid offices and FAFSA campus codes are available on this site.

Does my child need to bring a computer to campus?

Once your child has committed to attending a college or university, the Admissions Office will notify the incoming student of any requirements. Most campuses do not require a computer and offer more than ample computer labs that are open to students.

Are SUNY campuses a safe place for my child?

At SUNY, we take personal safety very seriously. We offer a range of educational and proactive security programs that enhance a student's personal safety. Personal property identification programs, educational programs on sexual assault prevention, late night escort services and trained university police patrols are just some of the ways that campuses help maintain the high level of security. SUNY has installed personal security equipment like blue light emergency phones across campuses, security entrances to residence halls as well as state-of-the-art fire alarm systems throughout the system. In addition, a well trained and effective University Police force ensures a high level of safety.

Data from our Student Opinion Surveys indicate students feel they are part of a community that is free from harassment and with a high degree of respect for students. However, we still encourage students to be vigilant with regard to their own safety. Each campus publishes crime statistics for the prior three years so that prospective applicants can gain a measure of the relative safety of each campus. These statistics are available upon request from any campus.

What if my child gets sick or I need to contact them in an emergency?

Our system of student health care centers provides a wide range of treatments for just these occasions. The skilled health care workers and emergency personnel on our campuses refer the more serious health problems to appropriate caregivers and hospitals when the need arises.

Emergencies including the serious illnesses of family members arise from time to time that require rapid communication between a family and their student. In the event of an emergency, you can contact the office of the Dean of Students or the Vice President for Student Affairs at the campus and ask them to help you make contact. They will arrange to locate your son or daughter as quickly as possible and arrange telephone communication if necessary.

What does SUNY do to promote diversity?

The State University of New York is committed to enrolling students of diverse racial and ethnic heritage and students with disabilities. Graduates from every state and over 180 countries come together to make SUNY one of the most diverse student bodies in the country. In 2018, 28.5% of all students were minorities and full-time minority faculty members made up more than 18.6% of all full-time SUNY faculty.

I have heard that SUNY is a good school, but how is it rated in outside sources such as "US News and World Report's" annual college rankings?

SUNY has been given high marks in rankings by such publications as US News and World Reports and the Princeton Review. For details check out SUNY's Ratings and Rankings.

What are the study abroad options for SUNY undergraduates?

SUNY offers over 1,000 international programs in 60 countries and all 7 continents. Many campuses have an office or staff member to assist students with study abroad choices, requirements and applications.

What are meal options for students?

All SUNY campuses offer a wide variety of meal options that meet most student's dietary requirements. For specifics, contact the college's Admissions Office.

Can students have cars at SUNY? Is a car necessary on most campuses?

Each campus establishes policies for whether or not students can have cars on campuses and many generally allow students to do so. However, some campuses have certain restrictions on first semester or first year students. These restrictions are designed to aid in the student's transition to college life and in their academic success.

It is recommended that you first contact the campus regarding car registration policies. The campus admissions office is a good place to start. Generally a car is not needed for transportation on most campuses. SUNY campuses are generally very conducive to walking. Some campuses even have connecting corridors that enhance ease of movement. Shuttle and or regional transportation services are provided at many campuses. These services allow students to easily visit the shopping areas and businesses in the area surrounding the campus. Transport on these systems is generally inexpensive and may be free depending on the campus.

What is the University's policy on alcohol and drugs? Are parents notified if there is an alcohol problem?

SUNY strongly supports and complies with all state and federal laws regarding the use of alcohol and drugs. Serious consequences result for those students who violate these laws. Sanctions for infractions may include probation, suspension or expulsion from college. In addition, students who violate local municipal, New York or Federal laws may face additional criminal charges.

The privacy of a student's educational records, including judicial records, is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, commonly known as FERPA. If the college has determined, however, that a student has violated a law or college policy governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance, they may contact the parents if the student is under twenty-one. Communicating with parents about these issues may vary by campus.

What kind of student health program is available for students?

Each campus generally offers a student health insurance program or can refer a student to a health insurance provider. Student programs can be purchased inexpensively and generally cover a student during the entire calendar year (beginning of one school year to the beginning of the next school year). While the health centers on each campus handle minor health issues, care provided off-campus by physicians and hospitals is not covered by the health fee. Campuses recommend or may mandate health insurance for every student to cover such costs. You should consult with the Admissions Office, Student Health Center, Dean of Students Office or the Vice President for Student Affairs at the appropriate campus.

Who is eligible for financial aid?

Across all SUNY campuses, approximately 75% of all full-time undergraduates receive some form of financial assistance. SUNY campuses use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your eligibility. You can apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

When is the FAFSA due?

Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1. This allows families to have the most up-to-date financial information when completing the application.

What happens if my child receives outside scholarships?

Financial aid officers can work with families to see that outside scholarships reduce future debt. Keep in mind that the total of all funds available to pay for your child's education cannot exceed the cost of attendance.

Attend SUNY