Paying for College

A college education is an investment in your future. 
There’s no better place to make that investment than here at the State University of New York.

SUNY's tuition and fees are among the most competitive in the nation.

Average Tuition & Fees

SUNY Community College unweighted tuition $5890
SUNY 4-year college tuition $9420
Out of state public 4 year college tuition $27560
Private college tuition $38070

What do you get?

Access to 64 colleges and universities with nationally-ranked academic programs, vibrant and diverse campus life, and opportunities for all to succeed.

Welcome to SUNY. We'll help you make college as affordable as possible.

Tuition Assistance Available for Part-Time Study

Part-time students taking at least 6 credit hours per semester are now eligible for New York State's Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) without a prior history of full-time study. TAP awards grants of up to $5,665 annually and, in addition to applying for federal student aid, is one of the first financial aid options New York State students should consider.

How do you get it? Apply for NYS TAP through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Start with SUNY Smart Track

Planning to pay for college can feel overwhelming. We’ll help you step by step.

SUNY Smart Track® is the nation’s most aggressive and comprehensive effort to assure financial aid
transparency. Smart Track is dedicated to helping you and your family make the best decision in college

To get started with Smart Track financial planning, choose one of the options below and create your profile.


SUNY Tuition and Fees

The State University of New York remains committed to providing students with the best education at an affordable cost. In addition, three out of four SUNY students receive financial aid to help cover these costs.

SUNY 4-Year Colleges and Universities 2022-23 Typical Expenses for Undergraduate Students at a SUNY College
(as of August 2022)

SUNY 4-Year Colleges and Universities

SUNY Community Colleges

What does it mean to be a New York State resident?

Net Price Calculator

Financial Aid Timeline

If you're a senior in high school, now is the time to plan for financial aid.
Here’s what you should be doing and when:

December - April

Of Your Senior Year

  • New York State residents should apply for the Excelsior Scholarship. For more information regarding application dates and deadlines, visit www.hesc.ny.gov/excelsior.
  • If you qualify for state aid under the NYS DREAM Act, complete the DREAM Act application. For more information regarding application dates and deadlines, visit www.hesc.ny.gov/dream.
  • After you receive your college acceptances, watch for financial aid award letters.
  • Advise financial aid offices, at the colleges you have listed on the FAFSA, of any unusual circumstances that may affect your family’s ability to pay for college, such as unemployment or unusual medical expenses.
  • Compare financial aid packages from different schools and choose your college.


Of Your Senior Year

By May 1, notify colleges of your enrollment decision. Accept both offers of admission and financial aid at your college of choice.

June - July

At the End of Your Senior Year

Apply for federal student loans, if applicable.


Before Your Senior Year

Use these online tools to estimate the cost of attending college:

Begin to search for scholarships.
The best place to find scholarship information is at your colleges of interest, parents’ places of employment, local libraries, high schools, and the web.

Create a calendar of all deadlines:
admissions, scholarships, and financial aid applications.


Before Your Senior Year

Start applying to colleges.


Of Your Senior Year

Start a financial aid folder to keep all financial aid documents organized. Information you should collect for your financial aid folder:

  • Your social security number
  • Your parents’ social security numbers and dates of birth
  • Your parents’ marital status
  • Tax returns for you and your parents
  • W2s for you and your parents
  • Bank, stock, real estate, and business records for you and your parents
  • Your driver’s license number
  • Your alien registration number (for non-U.S. citizens)

Create an FSA ID for you and your parent at fafsa.gov.


Of Your Senior Year

  • File the FAFSA now at fafsa.gov.
  • If you need a paper application, call 1.800.4.FED.AID.
  • New York State residents should apply for the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). Use the link on the FAFSA confirmation page to go to TAP on the Web. If you need more information, visit www.hesc.ny.gov.
  • If you are a non-New York State resident or an undocumented student, visit www.hesc.ny.gov/dream to determine your eligibility for state aid under the NYS DREAM Act.


Of Your Senior Year

If you have completed the FAFSA:

  • Watch your email for a notice from the U.S. Department of Education with a link to access your Student Aid Report (SAR).
  • Call 1.800.4.FED.AID, if you have not received your SAR.
  • If you have not completed the FAFSA, do so now at fafsa.gov.

Types of Financial Aid

Student financial aid comes in various forms, primarily scholarships, grants, work study, and loans. Most students use a combination of these to make college affordable.