Old Westbury students at computer in library

Frequently Asked Questions

The following frequently asked questions are provided to help students learn more about the SUNY System-wide cross-registration policies and procedures. You are also encouraged to speak with your advisor or mentor on your home campus for additional guidance and to learn more about your home campus policies.

General Questions

Cross-registration occurs when one SUNY institution (the Host institution) provides instruction for a student enrolled in a degree or certificate program at another institution (the Home institution) during the same academic term.

You must complete an application on the online SUNY Cross-registration Portal. Once you submit a request, an advisor or mentor on your home campus will review the course to determine if it is degree applicable, and eligible for registration. Once the advisor or mentor approves, the student records office or registrar will also review the course. After you receive preliminary approval from your home campus, the request is sent to the host campus records office to review. The host campus will determine if you are eligible to register for the course based on the host campus prerequisites, policies and available space. Once they make a determination, you will receive an email from suny.edu with the outcome. Once approved, you register for the course at the host school.

No. The cross-registration process is managed via an online form accessible at the SUNY Cross-registration Portal (https://suny.edu/crossregister). You will use the portal to formally apply, and will also use the portal to upload supplementary materials and receive updates.

Yes. You may also be able to combine credits across your Home and Host campus for financial aid eligibility purposes provided that the courses are applicable and transferable to your academic program or degree.

The home campus is the SUNY campus where you are matriculated and planning to receive your degree.

The host campus is the SUNY campus that you are seeking to attend as part of cross-registration. It is the campus where you are not receiving your degree and where you are matriculated.

During fall and spring sessions, you are eligible to cross register at all SUNY schools with the exception of the state schools at Alfred University, Cornell University and joint programs with non-SUNY campuses. Most campuses also participate in summer and winter session cross-registration as well.

You are encouraged to use the contact tools in the SUNY Cross-registration Portal, since you can easily reach all of the home and host support offices at once. If you’ve submitted an application, navigate to https://suny.edu/crossregister. At the top of the application, click the “New Message” button to open a message window. Once you submit your message, all of the support offices at the home and host campus are notified, and your request can be routed to the appropriate support office. If you have not yet applied, you are encouraged to start with home campus advisor or mentor, who can help you begin the process.

Registration and Enrollment

No. Cross-registration policies pertain to credit-bearing courses. You may be permitted to independently audit, however. Contact a host campus registrar or student records office for additional information.

No, you cannot file a retroactive request. In order to enroll in a cross-registered course, you must submit your request before the host campus cross-registration enrollment timeframe ends and receive all home campus approvals by their posted deadlines.

Generally, you will speak with an academic advisor or mentor on your home campus. You advisor or mentor may be a faculty member or an advisor in an advising or student success office.

You will receive a communication from the suny.edu cross-registration portal once you are registered.  You are also encouraged to be in contact with the host campus student records office or registrar to be assured you are enrolled in the course and have access to host campus systems.

You must register at the times determined by the host. Please view the host campus registration calendars and policies to determine registration times. Please note that the registration times may not match the registration times at your home campus.

You are required to review the official academic calendar for the host campus to determine the deadlines for cross-registration requests and enrollment. In particular, you should be aware of the cross-registration enrollment period and registration deadlines, along with the withdrawal and/or course drop deadlines for the host campus. If you do not adhere to the host deadlines, you may accrue additional fees. If you have questions about deadlines, contact the host campus student records office or registrar.

Contact the host student records office or registrar for assistance. You are also required to notify your home campus student records office or registrar when you make changes to your enrollment.

When utilizing financial aid - or if you are concurrently enrolled at your home campus - you will generally pay tuition to the home campus only. The tuition arrangements may vary during terms where you are not utilizing financial aid or when you are not concurrently enrolled at your home campus. If you have any questions about tuition, do not hesitate to contact the home and host campuses using the cross-registration portal.

Please note that students may be responsible for paying course related fees (such as materials fees and book fees) where it is part of the course fee for all students, and may be responsible for optional services fees if they use additional services (such as parking fees or fitness center fees).

You may need to submit an unofficial transcript to the host campus if you are taking a class that has a prerequisite or has a major/program requirement. Unofficial transcripts may be uploaded on the portal when you complete your cross-registration request.

Host Campus Attendance

New York State Education Law requires community colleges to verify that students are state residents. The Certificate of Residency proves you are a New York state resident, and to which county you are a resident. In order to qualify, you must prove you have lived in New York State for 12 months prior to registration, and in the same county for at least six months. If you lived in more than one county in the past six months, you will need certificates from each county.

On the host campus website, you should be able to find a campus map and bookstore information. Most online schedules will also include room locations and links to the campus bookstore. Contact the host student records office or registrar if you need assistance finding this information. Books and any extra required materials are your responsibility to obtain and/or purchase. Please be aware of class start times and be assured you can receive the materials and textbooks prior to the first class.

You are required to adhere to the course registration, attendance and withdrawal dates and deadlines at the host campus for your cross-registered course. Your home campus may have additional dates and deadlines that you must meet to register as well.

In general, if you are attending a class in person or using any on-campus resources, you will be required to have an ID card. Please review the ID card and access policies for the host campus.

No. The Host institution will send your final grade(s) to your Home institution. Your Home institution will assign equivalencies for the courses you have taken at the Host institution if applicable toward your degree.

If you received a bill, and believe you are eligible to participate in the consortium agreement, contact the registrar or bursar on your home campus for more information and guidance. In many cases, bills are generated automatically when a student registers.  Please do not pay or act on a cross-registration bill until you have consulted with your home campus.

Cross-registration Policy

While SUNY does not place a limit on courses, home and host campuses generally will have enrollment limits or maximum credit limits. In addition, many campuses require that a certain number of courses be taken in residence (at the home campus). In general, any credit limits at the home and host will continue to apply. Please review the policies at the home and host campus before registering.

Cross-registration requires approval on both the home and host campuses. At the home campus, an advisor or mentor will review the course to determine if it is degree applicable. In addition, the student records office or registrar will also review the course to be assured you are eligible to enroll. After you receive preliminary approval from your home campus, the request is sent to the host campus records office to review. The host campus will determine if you are eligible to register for the course based on the host campus prerequisites, policies and available space.

The SUNY cross-registration agreement only includes SUNY state-operated campuses, Empire State College, community colleges and SUNY University Centers. At this time, the following are also excluded: (1) instructional arrangements with CUNY or independent/private colleges and universities; (2) academic programs jointly offered by more than one SUNY campus; (3) SUNY’s statutory colleges at Cornell and Alfred Universities, (4) instructional arrangements between Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) and Syracuse University; (5) State-Operated branch campuses co-located with a SUNY community college; (6) Study Abroad programs; and (7) International Programs.

Yes. Students may attend community colleges in the SUNY system and benefit from the cross-registration policies and SUNY Financial Aid Consortium Agreement.  CUNY community colleges are not included in the agreement.

No. Cross-registration is contingent on space availability and enrollment capacity. Home institution students have priority for all courses on their campus.  Popular or high demand courses may be closed to host students in some cases, due to space limitations.

Cross-registered students are considered visiting students, which does not constitute regular admission or acceptance at the host institution.

Grading policies for courses are determined by the host campus offering the course.

While most SUNY campuses treat cross-registered courses as transfer courses, each campus has local policies that determine how a course is applied to your record. You are encouraged to consult with your advisor or mentor on your home campus to learn more.

Please contact your home campus registrar or student records office to determine how cross registered courses are identified on your home campus transcript.

Each campus has their own policies regarding cross-registration and transfer coursework. Campuses have policies concerning course equivalencies, residency requirements and transfer permissions – all of which may determine if a course can be approved. You should review the cross-registration policies on your home campus website, the academic catalog, or learn more by speaking with your advisor or mentor.

The cross-registration policy and consortium agreement does not cover additional fees or fines that are not part of the standard tuition and fees charged to all students. For example, you would be required to pay the host for a late registration transaction, a parking fine or an overdue book fee. All of the campus policies and regulations at the host school apply to visiting and cross registering students. It is important to be aware of the host campus deadlines and campus policies to avoid incurring fees or fines.

Campuses do not charge fees for requesting to cross register. Standard course fees and optional fees (such as parking, gym membership or IDs) may be charged by the host campus where it is applicable. Please review the host campus fee policies before registering.

Student Cross-Registration