Fulton-Montgomery - 2 students using laptop
SUNY College Fair
More Information...
Which SUNY Are You?
More Information...
Educational Opportunity Program Information Session
More Information...
SUNY Online Application (applySUNY)

Frequently Asked Questions

SUNY Online Application (applySUNY)

Application Timeline Questions

When is the application deadline?

While there is no formal application deadline for freshman applicants, we recommend you apply by December 1 to maximize your chances for financial aid, campus housing and consideration for your major of choice. Please note, some colleges have specific application deadline dates for certain programs of study. In addition, some colleges offer Early Decision or Early Action programs to fall freshmen. Applicants to an Early Decision program should apply by November 1st. Applicants to an Early Action program should apply by November 15th.

When will my application be processed?

Applications are processed in the order in which they are received at the Application Services Center. Processing times can vary depending on volume and time of year. If you apply online, you can see the status under "Application Details" including when your application was sent to a particular campus.

When will my application be received by my college(s)?

Electronic transmissions of applicant data are sent from the Application Services Center to SUNY colleges three - five times a week (with the exception of holidays). Hard copy admissions documents are mailed to the colleges every business day and generally take 3-5 days to be delivered. You can expect an acknowledgement from the college within a couple of weeks or less.

When will campuses notify me of the admission decision?

Many campuses respond to regular decision freshman applicants on a rolling basis, meaning when your application becomes complete, it will be reviewed and a decision will be made and communicated to the applicant. A few campuses have a set mailing date when most admission decisions are sent to the applicants. Transfer applicants are generally reviewed on a rolling basis. Check with the campus(es) to which you apply for specific information regarding the decision making process.

Technical Questions

How do I save my application? Can I start an application but complete it at a later date? Will my information still be there?

Each page of the application is saved when you leave that page and click the "Save and Continue" button. If you logout of applySUNY, you can return and your application will still be there.

Be sure to write down your email address and your applySUNY password. You will need to enter that information exactly the same way each time you access your application.

How do I print my application?

If you would like to print a copy of your application for your records, you may click on the "Print Application" link at the bottom of each section. You may also use your browser's print command (File, Print) and print each page of the application.

A red error message appears on the page.

The red text indicates that there were errors or omissions in that section of your application. If you don't have all the information for that section at hand or otherwise cannot complete the section, you can skip to another section by clicking one of the other section tabs. You will have to complete that section before submitting your applicaition.

How do I know my application was submitted successfully?

If you have completed all of the required fields, you will be directed to make arrangements for payment of your application fee. You will know your application has been submitted for processing when you reach the "Next Steps" page. Two business days after submitting your application, you may confirm its receipt by returning to applySUNY. The status of your application will be shown in the "Application Details" section of the portal.

You may also contact the Recruitment Response Center with questions regarding your application status.

I need to complete a graduate application but I only see undergraduate applications on the site.

You will have to contact the campus graduate admissions office directly. Information regarding graduate program offerings can be found, by clicking here.

I can't find my high school or transfer college using the wizards.

Try searching using just the state and first character of the city in which your school is located. If your school does not appear in the list, click the "click here" link to enter your school information without using the wizard. If you continue to have difficulty, please contact the Recruitment Response Center.

No Majors are found in the table.

The majors listed in the curriculum table are determined by the answers you have provided with regard to your student type (freshman or transfer, EOP or non-EOP) and enrollment semester (fall, spring, summer). Not all majors are available to all students and not all majors are available for the spring or summer semesters.

If you see the sentence, "No curricula found" then that campus does not offer programs for the selections you have made. If you wish to submit your application to SUNY, you may need to change the semester, major or campus you have selected.

I can't select an entry term for 2021.

Entry terms for 2021 will not be listed in the entry term drop down box if you are using an application saved for the prior academic year. To apply for a 2021 entry term, click "Use my 2020 Application for 2021" in the applySUNY portal.

Application Revision Questions

How do I fix a typo?

To correct an error once your application has been submitted, you must contact the Recruitment Response Center.

How do I change my entry date?

To change an entry date once your application has been processed and sent to your college(s), you must contact that college's admissions office. The college will advise you if a new entry date can be accommodated.

How do I delete a college?

You are encouraged to carefully research your college selections prior to application. A campus choice may be deleted from an application any time prior to submission. After an application has been submitted, you may request to have your application withdrawn by contacting the college's admissions office, however, you will still be responsible for paying the fee to process that application.

How do I add a college?

Once your application has been submitted, you can add a college selection by returning to applySUNY. Login in using your email address and password. Then click on "Send My Application to Additional Campuses" in the portal. You will be responsible for an additional application fee for each college added.

How do I withdraw my application?

If you wish to withdraw your application for admission, you should contact the college's admissions office directly and notify them of your decision to withdraw. However, you will still be responsible for paying the fee to process that application.

Supplemental Application Questions

Why do I have to fill out a Supplemental Application?

Supplemental applications allow you to provide information about your activities and interests. Most supplemental applications also require an answer to an essay question. This information will be used in the review of your application.

What is the difference between a SUNY Supplemental Application Form and a Campus Supplemental Application Form?

A Campus Form is a supplemental application that is unique to a particular campus. A SUNY Form is a common supplemental application that is used by many campuses. All campuses that accept this form will request the same information. Therefore, you will need to enter this data only once.

What are the Essay question topics on the SUNY Supplemental Application Form?

You can preview the information requested on the SUNY Form, including the essay question topics, by printing the Supplemental Application Worksheet. The essay topics are aligned to the 2020-21 Common Application topics.

How will I know if my SUNY Supplemental Application Form has been submitted?

Once you have successfully submitted a SUNY Form for a campus, it will appear in the "Completed" section on the respective "Campus" tab in the "Application Details" section of the applySUNY portal.

When will my SUNY Supplemental Application Form be received by my campus(es)?

Once your SUNY Form has been submitted, it will be made available for download by your campus(es).

How will I know the status of my Campus Supplemental Application Form?

To obtain the status for a Campus Form, you must contact the campus directly.

Is there a fee to process my supplemental application?



Are recommendation letters required?

Many colleges are interested in recommendations or other supporting credentials. Applicants may include such materials if they wish.

Are official test scores required?

SUNY has temporarily suspended ACT/SAT testing requirements for students applying for admission to a bachelor's degree-granting campus for the Spring 2021, Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 terms. 

Are TOEFL score reports required?

The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required by certain colleges. Please contact the college's admissions office directly with questions.

Where do I send my additional documentation?

The School Counselor Form should be forwarded to the Application Services Center at:

Application Services Center
The State University of New York
P.O. Box 22007
Albany, NY 12201-2007

All other documentation should be sent directly to the campuses to which you apply.

Application Fee Questions

How much is it?

The non-refundable application fee is $50 for each college choice. In addition, applicants to the College of Arts at Purchase College may apply to more than one program of study, but must pay a separate $50 fee for each curriculum choice.

Do I have to pay it?

The application fee is for processing services; it is non-refundable and independent of an admission decision or a decision to withdraw or decline an offer of acceptance. When you submit an application, you assume responsibility for prompt payment of all fees due. Your application will not be processed until full payment or authorized fee waiver is received.

Students facing significant financial hardship may request their application fees be waived by having their school or transfer counselor complete and submit a Fee Waiver Form.

The State University waives the $50 application fee for up to seven college choices for transfer students graduating with an associate degree from a SUNY or CUNY college, who apply directly to State University for baccalaureate programs. If you are a transfer student seeking the fee waiver, you must answer "yes" to the first question in the "Transfer History" section of the "Academic History" tab.

Students submitting an application for EOP consideration may qualify for an application fee waiver for their first seven (7) campus choices. If a student does not meet both the academic and economic guidelines or the campus to which the student is applying does not operate an Educational Opportunity Program the student will be billed for the fee.

If you are transferring to the last years of a cooperative program, such as a 2+3 program in engineering, you may also have your fee waived.

SUNY also waives the application fee for up to seven (7) campus choices for veterans, active duty service members, National Guard and active reserve members, their spouses and other dependents.

Students who are eligible for a fee waiver should select "Fee Waiver" as their payment method. If you request a waiver and are found ineligible you will be required to submit payment before your application will be processed.

How do I pay it?

Applicants may pay using the following payment methods:

Credit or Debit Card (Visa or Mastercard only). Applicants can submit their credit or debit card payments online. Selecting this payment method allows your application to be processed immediately.

Mail-In Payment. If you choose to mail in a check, money order or credit card information, you will be prompted to print an invoice at the end of the application. Your application will not be processed or forwarded to your campus choices until payment in full is received by the Application Services Center. Fees can be remitted in a single check or money order made payable to "SUNY ASC" in the amount of the total processing fee(s) due. International applicants must pay in U.S. dollars drawn on a U.S. bank. Mail payment to:

     The State University of New York
     Application Services Center
     P.O. Box 22007
     Albany, New York 12201-2007

   (Returned checks will be subject to an additional processing fee of $20.00.)

Electronic Check (United States Banks Only). Applicants can enter their checking account information online for payment. Selecting this payment method allows your application to be processed immediately.

All appeals for refunds must be put in writing to the Director of the Application Services Center.

I already paid it.

If you are billed for the application processing fee in error, contact the Recruitment Response Center.

Who should I contact if I have questions about the charges to my credit card?

Direct all questions regarding charges to your credit card to the Recruitment Response Center.

Forms Questions

Copyright © State University of New York - Office of Enrollment Services. All rights reserved.

Attend SUNY