Urban Teacher Education Center
The SUNY Urban Teacher Education Center (SUTEC) is committed to serving the needs of SUNY campuses with teacher preparation programs, assisting those students who wish to fulfill their student teaching requirements in New York City schools, and serving as a vital resource for research on urban education.
Located at 111 Livingston Street in Brooklyn, near the NYC Department of Education offices, SUTEC offers excellent opportunities for students who are considering an educational career in a dynamic urban setting.
In fulfilling its mission, SUTEC:
- Communicates with the campus deans and directors on an ongoing basis;
- Works closely with directors of field experience offices in selecting students to student teach in New York City urban settings;
- Offers a support system and professional development seminars for SUNY student teachers in New York City schools;
- Recruits a cadre of highly qualified field supervisors;
- Establishes partnerships with New York City schools that provide a clinically-rich teaching and learning environment for SUNY teacher candidates;
- Collaborates with the New York City Department of Education to facilitate the recruitment of new teachers from SUNY institutions;
- Provides opportunities for scholarship and research on urban education.