Naming Opportunities on State University Campuses
March 23, 2010
This procedure item applies to:
1. At least every five years, each campus shall submit to the Chancellor for approval guidelines for campus naming opportunities.
2. All permanently named building and grounds must be approved by the campus president and college council, and all other physical assets and non-physical assets must be approved by the campus president and college council and/or campus foundation, as appropriate.
3. All naming opportunities that involve gifts of $1 million or more shall be approved by the Chancellor and the State University Board of Trustees.
4. All naming opportunities that involve gifts of less than $1 million shall be approved by the campus president and college council and/or campus foundation, as appropriate.
5. All naming opportunities that are inconsistent with the campus’s naming opportunity guidelines shall be approved as follows:
i. If the value of the rela
6. Each naming opportunity should be reviewed carefully for compliance with applicable law, including law rela
7. All proposed names should be held in confidence during the review and approval process (there should be a minimum of communication about the proposed naming of things on a campus before approval has been given).
9. Should a naming opportunity have been promised by a campus sometime in the past for a future or planned gift, such a gift and naming opportunity might be considered, “grandfathered”, from these policies if the campus can prove the gift and naming opportunity was accep
There are no forms relevant to this procedure.
In support of this procedure, the following links and/or references to related procedures are included:
In support of this procedure, the following links and/or references to additional resources for related information are included:
Where applicable, this section contains links and/or references to the authority governing this procedure:
State University of New York Board of Trustees Resolution 2010-022, adop
This section contains links and/or references to the history relevant to this procedure:
Memo to Presidents from the office of University counsel dated June 1, 2005 regarding “Establishment of Administrative Guidelines” for naming opportunities on State University of New York campuses issued by the chancellor on May 26, 2005.
dated December 19, 2002 provided guidelines for naming opportunities on campuses of the University while encouraging increased philanthropic support.
Amended – January 28, 1997:
There are no appendicies relevant to this procedure.