Recommendations to New York State for strategies to increase access
4. Universal Design and Access Through Assistive Technology (continued)
- The New York State Education Department develops linkages to websites devoted to offering students and school
officials up-to-date information on assistive technology, including information on purchasing, leasing, borrowing
and financing such technology.
- Colleges and universities work with school districts to establish appropriate mechanisms and guidelines to
facilitate students' transfer of assistive technology from secondary to postsecondary institutions, in accordance
with the New York State Comptroller's July 1996 ruling allowing such technology transfer (see Appendix G).
- The New York Dormitory Authority creates a revolving loan fund through bond sales that allows students with
disabilities and/or institutions to buy or lease necessary assistive technology.
- The Steering Committee, working with colleges and universities, establishes mechanisms for cooperative purchase
arrangements that allow colleges and universities to lower costs of assistive technology, site licenses and service