Policies & Procedures
SUNY System-wide Policies and Procedures
University-wide policies and procedures govern the University in accordance with state and federal legislation, resolutions established by the Board of Trustees, and procedures adopted administratively by System Administration pursuant to Board-delegated authority and the authority vested pursuant to New York State Education law.
- Policy: a documented guiding principle, plan or course of action of the University designed to influence and determine decisions and actions.
- Policies are guiding principles that generate action.
- Procedure: a specific method or course of action or way of performing or effecting something in the implementation of policy; a set of established forms or methods for carrying on affairs of the University.
- Procedures are the steps taken to implement the intent of a policy.
- SUNY Regulations are rules adopted under the New York State Administrative Procedure Act (SAPA).
- Forms and appendices are supporting documents for University-wide policies and procedures. They may be found separately under Forms & Appendices or attached to the appropriate Policies and Procedures as Related Docs.
- Other Requirements are bargaining agreements, agency guidelines, etc. with which the University is obligated to comply.
Policy and Procedure Scope/Applicability
The policies and procedures featured on this SUNY Policy website have university-wide application.
The SUNY System is comprised of three types of institutions - State-operated campuses, Community College campuses, and Statutory College campuses.
Each individual policy and procedure includes a section in its heading that denotes if the document applies to State-operated campuses, Community College campuses, Statutory College campuses, or a grouping of the three types if institutions.
To find a campus-specific policy, procedure, appendix or form, contact the campus directly.
Other Sources of SUNY System-wide Policies and Procedures
SUNY's Authority to Adopt System-wide Policies and Procedures
- All powers of the University, including the powers to adopt policy and to adopt procedures, are vested in the Board. The Board may delegate to the Chancellor and others, by resolution, both the power to adopt policy and create related procedures.
- Policies can also be adopted administratively without Board approval if they codify a Federal or State law, or state regulation.
- The Board has delegated to the Chancellor authority to adopt procedures, authority which the Board may also exercise. SUNY System Administration also maintains the authority to adopt procedures pursuant to New York State Education pursuant to New York State Education law, NY Education Law Article 8, § 350 et seq.
SUNY's Policy and Procedure Process
Content is the responsibility of the department listed as "Responsible Office" on the first page of each policy and procedure. Please contact that office if you have questions about the interpretation or content of a specific policy or procedure.
Updating Policies on the Website
The responsible offices must ensure that the Policy or Procedure is maintained and updated. All Policy and Procedure changes are facilitated through the Office of General Counsel, through the Director of Compliance. To make changes to an existing Policy or Procedure, please contact the Director of Compliance.