Recommendations to New York State for strategies to increase access
4. Universal Design and Access Through Assistive Technology (continued)
Toward this end, the Task Force recommends the following strategies:
- The State Education Department, working with the rest of the state's postsecondary education community, identifies
the most appropriate site for a single clearinghouse on assistive technology.
- Institutions of postsecondary education create assistive technology integration committees that include individuals
- In conjunction with the assistive technology committees, institutions of postsecondary education develop guidelines
to ensure vendors are aware of accessibility requirements for products and services, including video material,
computers, websites and multi-media resources, and all other forms of instructional material.
- Colleges and universities, working with the State's vocational rehabilitation programs, provide students with
disabilities ready access to the assessment tools used to determine the most appropriate assistive technologies, given
their academic and career goals.