Recommendations to New York State for strategies to increase access
2. Institutional Commitment within Postsecondary Education (continued)
- All colleges and universities develop, within their strategic planning process, comprehensive strategies to
address the full range of accessibility issues, from admissions and orientation policies, to infrastructure
improvement, provision of support services, faculty training and career development; thereby addressing issues at
senior decision-making levels.
- Colleges and universities ensure that all faculty and staff have access to the tools and equipment they need to
effectively meet the educational needs of students with disabilities.
- New York's institutions of postsecondary education review their entire planning processes to make sure they
reflect and are consistent with the goals of universal design and access, and include experts in the field of
disability access in this planning.
- Institutions of postsecondary education develop a "disability impact statement" requirement for all major policy
initiatives and purchases, including the purchase of educational technology equipment.