Title IX Recent Developments
Title IX Obligations: This is a list of some of the most Important obligations under Title IX, as summarized in a recent Associated Press article (April 2012) that touched upon the effects of the Penn State scandal on Title IX Issues.
- Institutions are obligated to promptly investigate reports of sexual assault
- Colleges must ensure a safe learning environment. They should provide interim remedies to complainants, and educate them and the campus community about available resources on- and off-campus
- Title IX protects any person on campus or with a nexus to the campus—not just employees and students
- The Penn State janitor’s fear of reporting the abuse he witnessed, and the administrators acting under the radar with their knowledge directly contradict the Dear Colleague letter’s focus on campus climate and accountability
- Student-athletes accused of sexual assault should be treated the same way under the student code and Title IX procedures as an accused individual who is not a student-athlete