female army member in front of American flag.
Military and Veteran Students

Continue Your Journey Toward Bigger Success

Chat Button

Military and Veteran Students

You joined the military because you wanted to be part of something bigger. At The State University of New York, you can continue that journey. When you enroll at SUNY, you won’t be putting your military experience in the past; you’ll be using it as an asset to take on new challenges going forward.

You’ll find a culture of acceptance, understanding and success. More than 40 of our 64 campuses have been named military friendly by G.I. Jobs Magazine and are among the top 15% of colleges nationwide in offering the best overall experience for military students. From academic advising to on-site child care, these SUNY campuses go the extra mile to ensure military students have the resources they need to succeed.

Each SUNY campus has professionally trained financial aid counselors who can assist you in making the most of your GI Bill benefits. We’ll work with Veterans’ Affairs to help make a complicated process as seamless as possible.

Continue Your Journey

  1. Determine your best benefit
    • Contact Federal Veterans’ Affairs at 888.442.4551
    • Contact New York State Division of Veterans’ Affairs at 888.838.7697
  2. Apply for Federal VA Benefits
    • Complete your Funding Application
    • Receive your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from Veterans’ Affairs that outlines your percentage of benefits
  3. Apply to SUNY
  4. Apply for Federal Financial Aid
  5. Apply for New York State Veterans’ Tuition Awards

Learn More

United States Department of Veterans’ Affairs

New York State Division of Veterans’ Affairs

Attend SUNY