The Albany Evening Journal Building
Roofline of the South
The name of printer
William Caxton is
among South Tower
William Barnes has been described as one of the more colorful men of his day. He inherited the Albany Evening Journal from his grandfather, Thurlow Weed (who was a nationally-known political figure), and he dominated the political scene of Albany. A Republican, Barnes used his newspaper for partisan purposes, and when the opportunity occurred, he used his imagination and political strength to add the south tower annex to the D & H to further capitalize his position. Collaboration with political associations and Marcus Reynolds resulted in the construction of the building (which was completed in 1917 - the cost is unknown) where he lived and exercised his power from 1918 to 1924. There was an apartment for the editor of the paper in the upper floors of the south tower, with marble and tiled interiors, brass railings, gilt lanterns, and carved moldings. Printers' devils adorn the exterior of the entry, along with names and dates such as William Caxton 1487, known as the father of English printing.
With the collapse of political fortunes in 1924, Barnes sold the Albany Evening Journal to the Times Union. Afterwards, the building had various occupants, including a branch of the State Department of Public Works, which eventually became the Department of Transportation.