Legislative Update April 26, 2006
Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Both the Senate and the Assembly have completed the override of the following vetoes relative to SUNY, as well as similar ones for CUNY:
- Veto 100 - $119,500,000 restoration of TAP and related programmatic provisions. Expansion of the part-time TAP program remains in effect
- Veto 109 - $2 million for state-operated high need programs
- Veto 110 - $56.667 million for additional state-operated campuses operating assistance which included $25 million for additional full-time faculty and enrollment growth and $31.667 million for various mandatory/contractual costs
- Veto 111 - $1 million for community college contract courses
- Veto 112 - $1.8 million for community college high need programs
- Veto 113 - $415.8 million for addition state-operated capital projects
- Veto 114 - $45.336 million for additional community college capital projects
- Veto 209 – Budget Cleanup Bill - Miscellaneous appropriation items including operating aid and several capital construction projects for higher education
With the exception of Veto 209, all of these were “legal” veto overrides and not subject to the “unconstitutional” issues raised by the Governor. Therefore, the overrides have fully restored these appropriations within the context of the 2006-07 budget.
We will continue to keep you up-to-date on budget issues. If you have any questions, contact Michael Trunzo.